2006-Present Private Mental Health Counseling Practice (Redmond, WA). Therapist.
- Provide mental health counseling to clients. Specialties include: adolescents, working with parents, individuals experiencing transitions, depression, anxiety, and helping individuals achieve balance.
- Approved Supervisor. Provide clinical supervision and consultation to licensure candidates.
- Author of North Star Girls Group (4th edition published 2008). Developed, implemented, and published this psycho-educational support group for adolescent girls regarding self-esteem, body-image, and being true to yourself.
2006-Present North Star Offices, LLC (Redmond, WA). Co-owner.
- Created North Star Offices, which offers private and shared office space in a community-oriented environment for individuals with flexible work schedules who are starting their own businesses or who need a part-time office.
- Continue to manage, operate, and supervise all aspects of the business.
1996 – 2006 Youth Eastside Services (Bellevue, WA). Youth and Family Therapist.
- Clinical Supervision: Supervised both clinical staff and master’s level clinical interns.
- School-based program: Clinical counseling with youth and their families at school sites; facilitated groups; worked in three Bellevue middle schools; some program management.
- Out-patient program: Clinical counseling with youth and families.
- Parenting workshops: Classes on Raising Healthy and Confident Daughters.
1995 – 1996 Ruth Dykeman Youth and Family Services (Burien, WA). MSW clinical intern.
- School-based program at Sea-Tac and White Center elementary schools: individual counseling, development and implementation of therapy group for fourth-grade students on family issues/conflicts, co-facilitator of KLUE (Kids Like Us are Everywhere) group for fourth through sixth grade youth with substance abusing parent(s).
- Out-patient Program: Clinical counseling with youth and families.
- Co-facilitator of community-based PATH (Partners in Action for Teen Health) pregnancy prevention group for seventh-grade students.
1994 – 1995 United Cerebral Palsy (Seattle, WA). Social Interaction Specialist.
- Worked closely with residents living at the United Cerebral Palsy Residential Center who had severe cognitive and physical disabilities. Assisted with physical therapy, recreation, counseling, and communication programs through one-to-one, small group, and community-based training.
1993 – 1994 Rehabilitation Services of Northern California: Westcom Industries (Richmond, CA). Rehabilitation Specialist.
- Worked with developmentally disabled adults in a vocational rehabilitation program. This sheltered workshop provided a supportive, educational, and transitional setting for DD adults.
1992 – 1993 Stiles Hall Community Service Organization (Berkeley, CA). Project Coordinator.
- Coordinated UC Berkeley student volunteer program at Napa State Mental Hospital. Duties included selection, placement, and continued supervision of thirty volunteers; maintaining close contact with hospital administrators and therapists; and working directly with both child and adult patients in the hospital.
1991 – 1993 Transitions of Berkeley: Head Injury Recovery Center (Berkeley, CA). Life Skills Counselor.
- Worked in residential treatment program for the rehabilitation of clients with both physical and cognitive impairments due to brain injuries.
1991 – 1992 Affect Sharing Study (UC Berkeley). Research Assistant.
- Development and refinement of study, investigating the formation of emotions in infants at different ages.
Education & Licensure
Honors & Professional Associations
|2006 – present||Member of the Washington State Society for Clinical Social Workers (WSSCSW)|
|1996 – present||Member of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW)|
|2001 – 2005||Advisory Board Member of Friends of Youth Shelter Program|
|1998 & 2001||Nomination for Youth Link Community Leadership Award from Bellevue Youth Link.|
|1993||Western Psychology Conference for Undergraduate Research. Invited to present senior honors thesis, Gender and Communicative Style in the College Classroom, at Santa Clara University, CA.|
“I could never stay long enough on the shore;
the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air
was like a cool, quieting thought.”
— Helen Keller
Heidi Showman, MSW, LICSW ~ firstname.lastname@example.org